Juhani Mykkänen – CV
Master of Science, Information Networks, Aalto University School of Science
Information Networks Degree Program, 2004–2011.
Major: Knowledge-Intensive Business.
Minor: Content production.
Semi-Minor: Film History (in Aalto School of Art and Design).
Kuopion Lyseon lukio (senior high school), Matriculation Examination, spring 2003.
• Co-founder, Wolt. Wolt is the Apple-awarded mobile interface for discovering and getting great food in your city. We’re now in 6 countries with 500,000 registered users, 1,000+ restaurant partners, 1,500+ courier partners and 15M$ in raised funding. As the generalist co-founder, my role has been developing with whatever the company needs at the time. Currently, I work as our Head of People and Culture.
• CEO and founder, Meanwhile in Finland Oy. I do miscellaneous projects that inspire me through my own company. My work includes but is not limited to: public speaking, media consulting and journalism. I’ve also done various kinds of graphic design including magazine layouts, books, ads, flyers, web pages as well as logos. This is an ongoing effort since 2006.
• Columnist and film critic, Helsingin Sanomat, Nyt-liite, as a freelancer. I review films and write a monthly column called Mitä ajattelin tänään. Example columns: About how a bunch of people in Finland incorrectly pronounce the letter Q, about why gay marriage is totally cool and about the guy who obviously has the best life on earth (contains irony). 1/2014–
• Co-author, Koodi2016. I designed and produced a free-for-all handbook and website promoting the teaching of computer programming in the Finnish elementary school. This was with the all-too-talented Linda Liukas. 1–6/2014
• Editor / Chief, Nyt, HS menotoimitus, Radio Helsinki. I managed the Helsingin Sanomat multimedia desk comprising the HS weekly supplement Nyt-liite as well as the radio station Radio Helsinki. 1/2012–11/2013.
• Deputy Editor, Nyt. I worked as one of the two deputy editors of HS Nyt-liite handling the weekly journalistic process. 8–12/2011
• Journalist, Helsingin Sanomat, Nyt-liite. My stories have appeared on most sections of HS (politics, homeland, city, culture, economy, lifestyle, science, home etc.) as well as in Nyt. In 2010–2011 I worked as a project manager as well as a thesis worker doing user experience evaluation on tablet magazines. Other than that I’ve been a full-time or part-time journalistic contributor since June, 2007.
• Trainee, Zhangjiang Hi-tech Park, Shanghai, China. I hosted all kinds of representatives from all around the world when they visited the huge 24-square-kilometre hi-tech park in Shanghai. 9–12/2007
• Editor-in-Chief and AD, Teekkarin työkirja 2007, Tekniikan Akateemisten Liitto TEK ry. This project included a bit too many responsibilities to list here. 6–12/2006
• Mathematics assistant, HUT, Department of Mathematics. Teaching university level maths for the courses C1–C3. 9/2005–5/2006
• Live graphics specialist, MTV3 Oy. Was responsible for the live graphics of Hockey Night and Floorball Action. 3/2005–4/2006
• Intellectual property rights (IPR) assistant, Patent Agency Pitkänen Oy. 6–8/2005, 2–8/2004
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Besides the aforementioned Koodi2016, I’ve written a couple of books, one called Pussauskoulu and the other Matkaoppaat (as well as done their layouts). I worked as a photographer during military and also did a couple freelance photography gigs while working for Helsingin Sanomat.
I got to try tv show hosting at Musiikki-tv, YLE once in 2007. I have published some random articles as a freelance journalist since 2002 (City, Savon Sanomat, Kukka). I’ve also worked as a pro bono math instructor in Kuopion Lyseo High School during 2000–2002, and as a photography assistant and photo editor at Studio Mäntyniemi during the summers of 1999 and 2000.
• Grand One, Gold Medal 2017. Headed Wolt’s Christmas Meal for the Homeless campaign which collected 15 000 meals for the homeless and one two categories in the Grand One: The best social media campaign as well as the campaign with the most impact.
• Wired’s “Hottest startups in Europe”. Wolt – that we co-founded with six friends – has been given this award twice, 2015 and 2016.
• Apple “Editors’ Choice”. Wolt got this award by Apple a few weeks after we launched. It’s definitely entirely thanks to not-me. I’m still proud. 2015.
• EREPS and EHFA certified personal trainer, 2013.
• Winner (out of 800 competitors) in the competition for the title of Traveller of the Year 2009, organized by Kilroy Travels and NRJ in 2010.
• SSI certified scuba diver, 2009.
• Winner of the Feature Newspaper Article of the Year 2008 (Nyt-liite, article on the Finnish Foreign Minister Mr. Alexander Stubb, written together with Ville Blåfield, Tuija Pallaste and Ville Similä) in the annual competition of the Finnish Newspapers Association, 2009.
• Finalist (4th place out of 90 competitors with the film Poliisi elokuva, directing and cinematography as I. J. Mykkänen) in a national short film competition Uneton48, 2008.
• One of two Finnish representatives at the annual McKinsey EuroAcademy in Kitzbühel, Austria, 2008.
• The Student Union of HUT Scholarship for Outstanding Achievements in Studies, 2007.
• Organizer of the Annual Summer Party of Helsingin Sanomat, 2009, 2008 & 2007.
• Graphic designer in the HUT students’ project Finnish Design Äpy, 2007.
• Occasional stand-up comedy gigs at Comedy Club Laugh Riot, Tomaatteja, tomaatteja Stand-up Festival and On the Rocks bar as well as private gigs, 2006–2007.
• Finalist (top ten out of 1 000+ competitors) in a national poetry competition of Ilta-Sanomat tabloid paper, 2006.
• Competitor at Who Wants to Be a Millionaire at age 18. Got about halfway through the quiz, then took the money and ran. This was in 2002.
• Scholarships (4) in the fields of maths and other study achievements during senior high school, 2002, 2000.
• 2nd place in a national Finnish–British Society’s English writing competition, 2001.
• Finnish representative in the Gifted Children Summer School in Korolev, Russia, 2001.
POSITIONS OF TRUST
Aino (a magazine for the students of Aalto University)
• Member of the Editorial Council, 2009–2012, 2013–2014.
Tekniikka & Talous (a newspaper on technology and economics)
• Member of the Editorial Council, 2007.
Athene, the Guild of Information Networks (HUT)
• Culture executive, 2007.
• Board member, 2006.
• Business relations manager, 2006.
• Executive editor, guild magazine Kukka, 2006.
Kuopion Lyseon lukio (senior high school)
• Chairman of the board, Sigma – Society of Natural Sciences, 9/2001–5/2003.
• Student board member, 9/2001–5/2002.
I like new physical experiences and have enjoyed pushing my limits with such activities as scuba-diving, parachuting from 4 kilometres, bungee jumping, canopy touring, canyon swinging and paragliding. I have ran the half marathon as well as completed a nano triathlon. I hit the gym four times a week and occasionally play some golf.
I try to backpack as much as possible. So far I have been to around 50 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, South-Pacific, North-America and Central-America including one around-the-world-trip.
I love playing my piano and do it basically every day. I’ve spent around 70 weekends of my life on music festivals my favourites being Ilosaari, Ruisrock, Roskilde, Primavera Sound and Tomorrowland.
I’m bit of a cinephile and studied film history at Taideteollinen korkeakoulu. I’ve also directed and written a few short films.
I know my way around all kinds of computers, office software and the internet. Other than that:
• Adobe CS6 (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)–excellent
• HTML, CSS–good
• PHP, MySQL–basics
• Chinese–lived in Shanghai for months and learnt absolutely nothing
Finnish Air Force, Tikkakoski, 7/2003–1/2004. Photographer.